Saturday, December 15, 2018

#753 Carpentry Tools Museum

My dad was a carpenter and he taught me about the tools of his trade.

I've put those tools to work in every house where I've lived. So the carpentry tools museum in Kobe, Japan is a must visit.

The "wow" entrance makes it clear this is part carpentry museum and part Japanese garden, all mindfully organized.

The English language brochure and unusual tickets made a good first impression.

This full set of carpentry tools consumes an entire wall.

Some tools, like this wooden 'open-air' chalk line are new to me.

Some tools, like this massive 'smoothing plane' and its resultant perfectly peeled translucent shaving are almost beyond belief.

Carpenters use these tools to create impressive joinery.



Carpenters care about matching the best wood species to a project, so the museum displays the real trees and encourages touching and smelling their shavings.

The scale model tea house (I'm not really a giant) shows off the craftsmanship involved in joining round framing members.

If my dad were still with us, I'd buy him a ticket to Kobe today.


Yours in appreciating carpenters and their tools,
Kelly

1 comment: