Wednesday, October 10, 2007

#248 Alexander McCall Smith

I'm a fan of the Scottish author Alexander McCall Smith. He writes the best love stories.

Sure, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a pretty good love story. After all, Oprah picked it. As for me, I prefer the love story between Mma Precious Ramotswe and her husband Mr. J. L. B. Matekoni in the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency Series, set in Botswana.
And what about the Isabel Dalhousie novels starting with the Sunday Philosophy Club? There are some love stories in those 4 books too. Isabel, the lead character, is a philosopher who studies the ethical implications of every situation she finds herself in. The series is set in Edinburgh, Scotland - 3500 miles away from Charlottesville - and yet, every now and then Charlottesville appears in a story.

In The Right Attitude to Rain, Isabel is asked if she enjoys living in Edinburgh and she responds “I do like it. But I’d be happy living in other places, I suspect. New York. Charlottesville, Virginia. To name just two. I’m sure I’d be happy there.”
And in The Careful Use of Compliments, Isabel thinks “Jim Childress in Charlottesville would be a great catch” for her journal’s editorial board. Jim Childress is a professor of ethics at UVa.
So, despite Oprah's recommendation, if you’re looking for a good love story - whether or not you’re in Charlottesville – stop by your local library and pick up some Alexander McCall Smith.

Yours in appreciating AMS,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment