Saturday, July 27, 2013

#553 Reading ocean travel books

What to read?  What to read?

Our fall includes voyages on two magnificent ocean liners (the Queen Mary 2 and the MV Explorer).  So to prepare, I'm on the lookout for some good nautical fiction.

Using one of my favorite subject headings, "ocean travel - fiction", I search libraries for nautical novels. I'm particularly interested in books that are set on board ocean liners.  So while Life of Pi is a terrific story that rightfully belongs in this subject heading, I'm looking for stories on the big ships.  I also scouted these web sites:

After my nautical reads earlier in the year, I picked up a copy of The Vices by Lawrence Douglas and I loaded my Kindle with The Transatlantic Lady Carlsbrooke by Gary Nicholson.  I'm eager to read these stories set on the Queen Mary 2.


What's your recommendation for ocean liner fiction? 

And you can bet, I'll be scouting out those magnificent shipboard libraries!

Yours in setting the mood,
Mary

2 comments:

  1. For something a little less murderous, a fair bit of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is set on an ocean liner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Carla! I've not read Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, though I did enjoy the movie: http://johnston9494.blogspot.com/2012/05/531-top-20-films-at-sea.html!

    ReplyDelete