Monday, February 14, 2011

#465 Nautical Reading

Life on the ship is Busy, with a capital B!

But when I can break away from the library and from all the evening programs, I choose to do some fun reading.  Would it shock you to learn that I gave this some thought last fall?  It's true.  I brought a few 'nautical' books with me, mostly downloaded to my handy Kindle.

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard
Jane Austen's Sailor Brothers by J. H. Hubback
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Cruise of the Dazzler by Jack London
The Cruise of the Jasper B by Don Marquis
The Witch by the Virginia author and my namesake, Mary Johnston
Cruises in the Sun by my uncle Kent Curtis

and

Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse - not at all nautical, but Wodehouse makes me laugh out loud.

Yours in nautical reading,
Mary

2 comments:

  1. Wodehouse is such a great choice for the ship. I could envision an all Wodehouse reading theme for a voyage.

    Have you ever read Donald Westlake? I would definitely recommend him to you. Try Bank Shot or Don't Ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to read both "The River of Doubt" and the Wodehouse books. Now I think I might have to move them further up my To Be Read list.

    ReplyDelete